The Harry Truman celebrity doll portrays him as himself, the 33rd president of the United States. President Truman served from 1945 to 1953 and died at the age of 88 in 1972. The doll was made by ToyPresidents, Inc in 2005.
The President Harry S Truman doll comes wearing a soft charcoal gray 1950s standard men’s double breasted suit with decorative black buttons on the front. Underneath is a 1:6 scale blue tie with white stripes and a white collared, cuffed shirt. The jacket, shirt and cuffs have tiny snap closures and the shirt has an elastic strap sewn on the tail to keel the shirt tucked in.
The matching, charcoal gray, cuffed pants have a flap over the front with a fly underneath with snap closures. Underneath the pants are a pair of Toypresidents special boxers. Truman is commemorated with a Democratic donkey logo decal-ed to the rear of the boxers.
The shoes are standard cap toed black oxford business shoes and fit over the black socks.
The face is painted with brown eyes, medium pink lips, molded bald topped dark gray hair. The doll doesn’t resemble Truman at all due to the long peanut shaped head and no glasses. Truman has a round head and wore glasses his entire life, leaving them out as an accessory ruins the already poor resemblance. [The museum curator fashioned a quick pair out of wire to help with the photographs. The glasses did not come with the doll.]
From the box:
President Harry S. Truman
The collector quality Talking Action Figure.
25 unique and authentic phrases:
- “Our faith is in the betterment of human relations.”
- “If we falter in our leadership we may endanger the peace of the world, and we shall surely endanger the welfare of this nation.”
- “It was to spare the Japanese people from utter destruction that the ultimatum of July 26th was issued at Potsdam. If they do not expect (sic. accept) our terms, they may expect a rain of ruin from the air the like of which has never been seen on this earth.”
- “The world will note that the first atomic bomb was dropped on Hiroshima. We have used it in order to shorten the agony of war. We shall continue to use it until we completely destroy Japan’s power to make war.”
- “The Japanese have just officially laid down their arms. They have signed terms of unconditional surrender.”
- “We may repay the debt, which we owe to our God, to our dead, and to our children only by work, by ceaseless devotion to the responsibility which lie ahead of us.”
- “The United States and other like-minded nations find themselves directly opposed by a regime of contrary aims and a totally different concept of life.”
- “No government is perfect.”
- “One of the chief virtues of a democracy, however, is that it defects are always visible, and under democratic processes can be pointed out and corrected.”
- “Democracy is based on the conviction that man has the moral and intellectual capacity as well as the inalienable right to govern himself with reason and justice.”
- “We believe that all men have a right to equal justice under the law and equal opportunity to share in the common good.”
- “We have condemned in the past and condemn now extremist measures of the right or the left.”
- “We have in the past advised tolerance, and we advise tolerance now.”
- “More than half the people of the world are living in conditions approaching misery. Their food is inadequate. They are victims of disease. Their economic life is primitive and stagnate. Their poverty is a handicap and a threat both to them and to the more prosperous areas.”
- “The key to greater production is a wider and more vigorous application of modern scientific and technical knowledge.”
- “Only by helping the least fortunate of its members to help themselves can the human family achieve the decent satisfying life that is the right of all people.”
- “The supreme need of our time is for men to learn to live together in peace and harmony.”
- “The United Nations is designed to make possible lasting freedom and independence for all its members.”
- “We shall not realize our objectives, however, unless we are willing to help free peoples to maintain their free institutions and their national integrity against aggressive movements that week to impose upon them totalitarian regimes.”
- “Totalitarian regimes imposed upon free peoples by direct or indirect aggression undermine the foundations of international peace and hence the security of the United States.”
- “I believe that it must be the policy of the United States to support free peoples who are resisting attempted subjugation by armed minorities or by outside pressures.”
- “I believe that we must assist free peoples to work out their own destinies in their own way.”
- “I sent a message to Congress about the situation in Korea. We have sent forces to assist in these operations. What is at stake here is nothing less than our national security and the peace of the world.”
- “Our dept to the heroic men and valiant women in the service of our country can never be repaid. They have earned our undying gratitude. America will never forget their sacrifices.”
- “With God’s help, the future of mankind will be assured in a world of justice, harmony, and peace.”
To hear the audio track of 25 unique phrases from President Harry S Truman’s words in his own voice recorded from the belly speaker, click below:
The doll is fully articulated at the neck wrists, elbows, shoulders, neck, waist, hips, knees, and ankles. Head goes side to side and tilts. Waist twists with a little bend up and down. Shoulders and hips rotate 360 degrees. A three LR44 battery compartment is on the back with a stamped Toypresidents . On the front chest is the play button lined up where the lapel sits and holes for the speaker.
Accessories include an official Toypresidents biographical brochure called The Road to the Harry Truman’s Presidency, The 33rd President and a black plastic doll stand.
Read the official Toypresidents biographical pamphlet on Harry S. Truman in PDF format
Use these links to price check the Harry S Truman Toypresidents doll. This talking doll isn’t often available. The Celebrity Doll Museum has affiliate accounts with Ebay and Amazon and a small commission is paid for qualifying purchases.
To see the complete list of ToyPresidents and TimeCapsule dolls from Toypresidents, Inc original website in 2008, use this link. Complete list of Toypresidents, Inc. dolls from 2008. â€“ A screen capture from their website.